Monday, November 27, 2006

Quieter Salemtown Streets Support Police Report on Reduced Gang Crimes

This is purely anecdotal, especially compared to the numbers crunching of the Metro Police, but based on my personal experience in my neighborhood, I would have to say that the report of reductions in youth gang activities due to the 6-month crackdown on the gangs by the police is believable. Times I have seen gang colors anywhere close to my block since May are few and far between. I've witnessed no graffiti since last winter and no gunfire in quite some time. If there is a connection with the crackdown, then I applaud the police for making our neighborhood safer.

The acid test of whether the reductions are coincidental and momentary will be the months of January, February, and March. If you do a "gang" word-search on Enclave, you'll see that my reports of gang-related activities in Salemtown are clustered in the first three months of 2005 and 2006. So, let's get through the winter, and then use that to gauge whether the police are making any real dents in the gangs here.

1 comment:

  1. You should stay in contact with your neighborhood watch via phone and e-mail. Attend association meetings and talk to the police who attend about any increasing gang colors or tagging that you see. Also call the police when you notice anything remotely suspicious, and then let your neighbors know what you noticed. Communication is key.

    ReplyDelete