Sunday, May 04, 2008

More to "Silly" Zoning than Meets the Eye

PiTW's Mat Pulle spreads the misconception that zoning issues are rather trivial vis-à-vis Metro Schools:
Do we really want our council members suggesting policy at Bransford Avenue? Or do we just want them to preside over silly zoning disputes ...?
Before I started actually paying attention to the effects of zoning disputes on local communities, I believed that they were minuscule compared to things like funding our schools. Now I don't see them as so far apart from one another. In fact, I see Salemtown's zoning and access to quality public education in tandem.

But even if the two are not so close in priority, zoning influences quality of life in neighborhoods and when we minimize its influence, then the Metro Council will play down to our low expectations. (By no means am I defending the object of Pulle's criticism).

No comments:

Post a Comment