Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Bo knows but won't tell

What is the big secret? I did not understand why the identity of potential Fairgrounds developers had to be kept secret, and I don't understand Bellevue CM Bo Mitchell's lack of transparency in the run-up to consideration of a huge development resolution in Metro Council:


The Metro Council could soon pave the way toward a massive new development west of the city ....

The mixed-use development would be off Interstate 40 at exit 192, near McCrory Lane, in the district of Councilman Bo Mitchell. While Mitchell wouldn’t speak to details about who’s funding the project or how, he says they’re willing to put millions down just on roads to the site, at a time when the broader market is down.
“From my standpoint, with unemployment over 9 percent, I welcome his investment in the community, to create jobs building this, and then after it’s complete the jobs that will be in the development for our community, so I like his timing.”
Mitchell says the city would sell bonds to pay for new infrastructure at the site, which businesses setting up there would ultimately pay back.

If the CM can proclaim, "jobs, jobs, jobs!" why can't we know who is providing them?




UPDATE: CM Mitchell maintains in the comment section of this post:


Actually, what I told the reporter was I would not speak FOR the developers and directed them to their counsel, Tom White. I have no issue releasing the developers name it is JMJ of Dallas, TX. Any specific questions about the project can be directed to Tom White.


Since I posted this some readers emailed to say that they knew the identity of JMJ, given the appearance of the company's owner, Timothy Barton, at a previous Industrial Development Board meeting about the Bellevue development. But the Biltmore Ridges project has been in the works, and publicly so, for years. In fact, in 2007 JMJ said it was "fast-tracked" for West Nashville. If nearly a-half-a-decade is fast-tracked, I would hate to see what their slow-walk is.

Boyer Barner also links news that earlier this year a jury returned a verdict against JMJ for interfering with other developers' agreements for two luxury hotels in Mexico.

By the way, the Metro Council approved this "fast-tracked" development earlier tonight at its business meeting.

6 comments:

  1. Actually, what I told the reporter was I would not speak FOR the developers and directed them to their counsel, Tom White. I have no issue releasing the developers name it is JMJ of Dallas, TX. Any specific questions about the project can be directed to Tom White.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If someone left a pie on Bo's door-step, and he had no idea where or who it came from, do you think he would eat it? (Even if it had a nice note, that said, "Bo, I baked this pie just for you and it tastes great!")

    I doubt it.

    I hope his constituents demand to know who the bakers are when it comes to this "sweet" gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd appreciate you updating your post with the info I just provided you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike,
    The NPR article you quoted in this story provided an update in which Tom White, the developer's attorney, gave the name of the owners/developers (i.e., JMJ). You may want to do an update to your post reflecting the information included in the update, as well as Bo's above comment.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bo,

    If I were you, I would check out this link, or ask Tom White about it:


    http://www.morelaw.com/verdicts/case.asp?n=DC-07-10870-F&s=TX&d=46832

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaking of "fast tracks," The Nashville Fairgrounds Speedway is very fast, but also VERY quiet with the new muffler systems used by the race-cars.

    Maybe Bruce and Megan Barry will attend a race with me?!

    ReplyDelete