Sunday, January 29, 2006

That Which Is Concretely Conceivable

Amy Gahran over at I, Reporter believes that it may be better to "start small" in citizen journalism rather than trying to take on a large exurban area as Bayosphere tried to for the San Francisco Bay Area, only to have to concede failure after a lack of interest. I wholeheartedly agree with her.

Some time ago I embedded a quote in the right-hand column underneath the green "About me" box from Robert Woods, who asserts that the neighborhood is "concretely conceivable" and the city is not, except as the latter is "organically integrated" through its neighborhoods. The same can be said about a region. Metro Nashville and Middle Tennessee would both be tough blogs. And I do not think that it would just be a problem solved with more time and energy. Neighborhoods provide definition and a sense of place that the cannot be captured by the inchoate boundaries set by broader scales.

No comments:

Post a Comment