Monday, March 27, 2006

The Most Cognitively Dissonant Moment I Have Ever Had in Nashville

Seeing Jethro Tull perform at the Wild Horse Saloon a few years ago. It didn't exactly fit the "You're So Nashville If ..." category.

While I'm on the subject of music, here's a couple of other random thoughts. I think that the one pop tune that drove the point of irony home most effectively was Howard Jones's 1980's hit, "No One is to Blame." A sampling:

You can look at the menu but you just can’t eat
You can feel the cushions but you can’t have a seat

I know that Alanis Morissette referred explicitly to irony in the 1990's (which seems bad form relative to Jones's implicit reference), but she seems to confuse irony with oddity or happenstance. Rain on your wedding day is not necessarily ironic.

The most perfect synthesizer rock song ever is Styx's "Fooling Yourself" (The Angry Young Man)." I know that synthesizers are much maligned, but give me a break, they are part of my high school cultural experience, and everybody knows that the high school cultural experience is sacred. I won't begrudge you your high school fling with Spin Doctors if you won't begrudge me my fling with synthesizer rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment