Thursday, July 13, 2006

1,000 Posts in 500 Days

I am pleased to say that this is my 1,000th Enclave post "writ, shot, cropped, and chopped" since I started this modest hyper-local a little over 500 days ago. It has been a fun ride, but I have not yet been able to solve the biggest mystery of urban living: how can the mosquito that gets trapped in my Wrangler continue to buzz against the front window as I accelerate from 0 to 35 mph, and if it continues to fly against the window when I reach my cruising speed, does that mean that it is actually flying faster than I am driving? You might say that such a question has little to do with front porches, walkable neighborhoods or anything remotely resembling New Urbanism, but I beg to differ. Thanks to living in near-downtown enclaves, I use my vehicle sparingly (22,000 mi. on a 2002 model) relative to car culture, and I notice the little things when I do use it. When I'm going pedestrian in the hood or chillin' on the porch I only notice the skeeters when they bite me.

No comments:

Post a Comment