Sunday, March 01, 2009

The Old Purity Saw

Clintonista and Lieberman-associate Lanny Davis goes to the Washington Times to accuse liberal bloggers of attempting to ideologically cleanse the Democratic Party. Davis's argument is essentially warmed-over pragmatic vs. purity formula used to dismiss progressive criticism. I recently challenged that formula at NashFreep. Liberals have various purposes in attempting to influence the direction of the Democratic Party. I consider myself a pragmatist who supports liberal causes not to purge but to leverage specific action. For example, I am not necessarily looking to drive Blue Dog Democrat Jim Cooper from office; I would just like to see him do things like raise this "C" grade to something more noble. Charges of purity actually fall apart when one become less interested in leveling them than in finding out what actually motivates liberals.

No comments:

Post a Comment