Sunday, December 21, 2008

No Love Lost for Rosa Parks at the Nashville Charrette

A Werthan Mills resident assumes there is a devaluing "minority stigma" associated with the name change of 8th Av. to Rosa Parks Blvd. His argument looks like a variation on the "black people lower property values" meme. I've lived in a mostly African American neighborhood adjacent to Werthan Mills for going on 5 years now and my property values have consistently gone up, and if they go down lately I believe it has more to do with the policies of George W. Bush than the name of Ms. Rosa Parks.

Full disclosure: I have not been uncritical of the renaming of 8th Av., which I believe was mishandled and not thoughtfully implemented, but I can find no hard evidence to suggest that naming streets has any affect on changes in property values.

1 comment:

  1. The Charrette's posse of right wing cranks has been active lately. The example you cite was the most outrageous, but the continuous digs at Obama and the almost literal Know-Nothingism of one particularly obnoxious regular in favoring the English Only proposition (paraphrase: I'm voting for it but I will not give any reasons why") have shown some of those guys to be heading towards the realm of the unhinged.

    The conservative economics of greedy developers I can at least see a reason for. But some of those guys who are not developers have an unbelievable disconnect. Their desire to see a built urban environment doesn't seem to consider at all what kind of urban enviroment would be pleasant to live in, and how to reach that point.

    I've said it before: I get the feeling they live in the suburbs and would like to be able to see tall buildings from their driveway.

    ReplyDelete