Monday, December 03, 2007

Photos of the New, Unlit, Wrong Signage at Bicentennial Mall


Can you read this sign in the dark? It was a little after 5:00 p.m. when I took these photos.

CatMac has pointed to the fact that the hours open are wrong in the final line of the sign (the photo on the left was taken with the flash; so if you are in the park after dark with a light source, you will be able to read the warning of closure). The last line seems to be a recent edition as it appears more white and less yellowed than the stencil above it.

Again, if these are the only changes that the state makes to secure Bicentennial Mall from 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. (or is it 11:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.?!) is to stencil a few signs does that make you feel safer?


UPDATE: This unedited, unretouched, but flash-assisted photo--blurrier because of the low-light, longer-aperture conditions--shows the contrast between the newer bottom line and the aged and weathered lines above it on a "park rules" sign in a different part of the park.

3 comments:

  1. Mike, I'm not sure, but it looks like you might've been in the park after dark to take the photo at the top of your blog. ;)

    -tfo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm busted.

    I guess I'm just lucky that I came out safely (I saw a dozen other people walking in the area, too), because if anything bad had happened to me under the cover of dark, I would have deserved it all for living in an urban neighborhood and walking around an accessible (a.k.a., "open") state park.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take that, hippie.

    You know what I think we need? Some good old fashioned civil disobedience. 120 people in the park at midnight (one for every minute the rape is reported to have lasted without anyone noticing)... let's see if the rangers stick around for the party.

    ReplyDelete