Tuesday, October 31, 2006

¡Viva North End!

I continue to defend the "North End" moniker for the area between Downtown, the north loop of I-65 and the river to developers who are inclined to call it "Uptown." You can see their defense of "Uptown" for yourself, but my contention is that we are one of the few Nashville residential areas that is clearly bounded and cut off from sprawl, much like the North End in Boston, which is hemmed in on three sides by water. I argue that our geographic boundaries make us much more like Bean Town's enclave than it does Chicago's, Manhattan's, or Houston's "Uptowns."

1 comment:

  1. I've talked to a lot of people in the North End and all hate, yes hate, the idea of being called Uptown. It annoys me that developers think they can just walk into our neighborhood and call it whatever they want. Please continue protecting our North End name; many of us have become quite fond of this name and do not plan on letting it go:)

    ReplyDelete