Sunday, October 29, 2006

A Disturbing Comment

From an anonymous commenter in response to my post that included an explanation for my voting "YES" on the independent auditor amendment to the Metro Charter:
The flaws with Charter Amendment 3 are more serious than you note. The Mayor proposed a selection method for the auditor that would have provided insulation from the political process; the Council amended it so that THEY are the ones who choose the auditor, and stacked the committee so they have more votes. This new auditor will be beholden to the political whims of the Council -- and is anyone happy about that? Watch for a Council Member Near You to be handed the auditor position sometime soon if this passes, as political payback.
Now I regret my vote. We do indeed need to keep our eye on how council members line up on the audit committee and who lands the auditor position.

In the mean time if you have yet to vote, do as I say and not as I do: vote against the independent auditor amendment. Cancel me out and then some.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you're good S-town Mike. I really thought about it, too, the idea of a corrupt council playing politics with the auditor's position. Ludye Wallace for auditor! :) But then I thought, overall it is a very good idea and our council is so stupid they might actually pick somebody good every now and then. And then I pulled the trigger and voted yes. I think a yes vote is okay and with any luck maybe we can get a council that is not majority boneheads one of these days. Elections these days come down to the lesser of two evils I'm afraid. I think your vote will work out fine.

    ReplyDelete