Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Another Night of Schöne Ansicht Erosion: Fresh Gravel Erodes Just Like Old Silt Does


Last night's storm produced another erosion event at the controversial Schoene Ansicht development, because owners Steve Yokley and Taurus McCain continue to refuse to maintain silt fence or some other containment system during storms. In fact, the belated silt fence they recently put up after being cited by Metro is now gone, leaving nothing between piles of dirt, layers of gravel and the downhill slope to 5th and Hume intersection. And most of the debris laying at the intersection was not originally on the property, as the gravel had been trucked in to build a sidewalk in front. So, not only are we getting original Schoene Ansicht material dumped on our neighborhood; UP, LLC is also trucking in debris to dump on us.

The eroded gravel and silt choked the intersection this morning. Passing vehicles skittered gravel at me as I took pictures. Back on the property, hay bales, which could contain some of the run-off, serve no containment purpose perched on top of a wall. Thank you for your on-going care for our neighborhood, UP, LLC. Keep telling us how you won't make our run-off problems worse. If you cannot construct a working containment system above ground, how can we trust that your wonderous underground containment system will work, also?

8 comments:

  1. I rode through this morning. It isn't that bad. Last week you had dirt/mud, now you've got gravel from the sidewalk and driveway preparation. You won't have to worry about the concrete sidewalk moving. Looks like you're in the home stretch... Cheer up!! :)


    JM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Show me some responsible property owners and builders and I'll cheer up. Guess I'm just supposed to accept anything they do to the neighborhood in the name of making money. What if their underground containment system doesn't work like they tell us it will and neighbors have to bail out their run-off; should we cheer up about that, too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... I feel that "bite your head off" in your response. My grandfather over on 6th used to say "If that's all you're worried about, then sounds like you ain't got it that bad." Hope you feel better... I like taking a 2 mile jog when I start feeling on edge and snapping off at people. Like I said in the earlier post.... Cheer Up!! :)

    JM

    ReplyDelete
  4. You still haven't answered my question. This isn't about irritability; it's about responsibility.

    Exactly how far do these owners/developers (and I'll wager you know them) get to violate codes or generally sacrifice the interests of their neighbors to satisfy their own profit motives before I have your permission to write the slightest critical comment on what I perceive to be their tendency to cut corners in order to cut costs?

    ReplyDelete
  5. good silt fences make good neighbors.

    The fact that they aren't even bothering with a relatively inexpensive silt fence isn't exactly encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheer up, John! There are those who seem think that partially gravelled and/or dirt crossroads make good neighbors, too. UP,LLC is doing us some big favors here.

    Sarcasm aside, if they're lax and permissive of damaging and illegal conditions that we can see, what are they allowing that we cannot see?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopefully when this is complete there will be no run-off issues whatsoever. Too bad they are so sloppy with containment during construction, though. Where's that brick veneer?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I am late on this, but I have been out of town for the last few days. The day they dumped all that gravel on the road, is the day I almost ended up in Wendy and Michelle's yard. I saw the usual mud puddle across 5th and Hume, but I did not see the gravel until I turned the corner. My car slid all over the place and I almost completely lost control of my car. I was so angry and freaked out,...and of course no one was at the Schoene Anischt property to discuss this matter with. It is completely inappropriate for such messes, especially when it is to the extent of almost causing an accident.

    ReplyDelete