Thursday, April 05, 2007

Constant Gardener

I was out in the yard before dawn this morning pulling sheets off plants and checking the damage of overnight freezing temps in our beds. I was also back and forth with water knocking frost off before the sun hit them. Planting some shrubs and flowers early this year was risky, and now I'm bearing the consequences of having to do more work and brooding than those of you who are waiting until after April 15. I rolled the dice this year, and we will see after the next 3 or 4 frozen days whether I crapped out or not. Those of you who haven't turned a single spade of soil over can kick back and wait out the cold in leisure. I'll be in horticultural overdrive and I'm hoping to kick back myself before May.

3 comments:

  1. Me? I've been sad that I HAVEN'T already planted. With careful attention, you'll get through the next few days just fine on any but the most delicate of plants. Someone watching the forecast in the past few weeks could have gotten in three more weeks in the ground than I'll get this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a bunch of planting this past weekend, so I'm in the same boat as you. Except that I've pretty much thrown my hands up and decided to just let chance decide how the plants fare. I hope both our gardens turn out lucky. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, now I am worried about your plants, with lows in the mid-20s the next two nights. :( I am crossing my fingers for you!!

    ReplyDelete