Tuesday, March 20, 2007

BREAKING: Major Car Chase and Arrest on 6th Avenue

About an hour ago I saw a green Camaro hauling down Hume from 8th and turning north on 6th, pursued by three or four police cars, which had sirens and lights going full tilt. The green Camaro jumped the sidewalk three houses down from Hume and slammed into a wall (which I heard, but did not see). The suspect in the car fled down an alley between 5th and 6th and 7th, where he was apprehended by police (see update below for clarification). There were at least a dozen police officers and half a dozen cruisers at the scene of the accident. I hung as close as I could to the accident behind a neighbor's fence, and I found out that the fleeing suspect (male, African-American) lives on 6th with his family in a duplex near the struck wall. I also heard police tell him that he was under arrest for some unidentified thing that they found in the car. The police put crime tape up and warned on-lookers who tried to enter that they were violating a crime scene. As far as I could tell, no one was injured. There were no local news media crews anywhere to be seen while I was there. I'll pass along more details as they become available.


UPDATE: Correction to alley location above. A neighbor tells me drug scales were confiscated from the Camaro and that the suspect was tackled by the police at the corner of 6th and Garfield.


UPDATE II: From Metro Police Wednesday morning:
Our undercover detectives received a tip regarding a shipment of drugs into your neighborhood. Our undercover guys and several marked units were in the area when the dope dealer arrived. Needless to say, he didn't want to stop and chit chat with us, so the chase was on. He wrecked his car and tried to run on foot, but our healthy officers caught him and arrested him with a large quantity of cocaine along with drug scales and drug paraphernalia; his money and his vehicle were seized.

No comments:

Post a Comment