Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Wage on LEDs

Here's a comment from Chris Wage on the distraction he experienced while driving from an Interstate-placed LED sign:
I will say that yesterday I encountered an issue with LED signs I hadn't considered before.. There's a bright LED flashing sign on Division near the interstate, and it's fairly dark over there. The result is that the flashing bright sign basically lit up half the street. I thought I was being pulled over by a cop at first, and then couldn't find the source of this bizarre flashing. It wasn't until I was convinced that I was about to be abducted by aliens that I finally saw the sign in my rearview mirror. Maybe I'm just a dumbass, but maybe there's a potential safety issue there.. I guess it'd be less a big deal once people were used to it.
That's part of the problem, isn't it? Why not keep LEDs limited to industrial and commercial strips instead of placing them in residential areas where a distraction could mean much more than a simple fender bender?

No comments:

Post a Comment