Thursday, March 06, 2008

So These Are What the State Halls of Power Look Like

Earlier this morning before attending Metro's sidewalk and bikeway public meeting, I made my first ever stop at Legislative Plaza to check in face-to-face with State Senator Thelma Harper's staff in order to confirm that my previous two letters had been received and to ask for a response from the Senator on where plans stand for increasing Bicentennial Mall security in the wake of a 2007 rape and 2008 indecent exposure at the park. I was told the Senator was in a committee meeting, which is what I expected, but I did get a confirmation that my letters were received and a commitment from her assistant to a reply when the Senator has a chance.

Otherwise, it was fun wandering among the lawmakers, staffers, and lobbyists and peeking into committee room windows of those in session. Immaculate dress and a rich tobacco odor punctuated the sights. My blue jeans, sports coat, and Spanish chukkas must have stood out like a sore thumb. I'm sure I'll have to go back again in the near future, and I look forward to the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment